Sunday, January 25, 2009

One of Daniel's classmates had an ice skating birthday party today. It was Daniel's first time on ice and it has probably been about 15 years since I last ice skated. I was actually looking forward to it quite a bit. I loved ice skating as a kid and have many fond memories of it. I wasn't too sure what Daniel would think of if since it takes a while to get comfortable on ice. I have to say he did quite well, considering how out of control you feel the first time on skates. He was slipping and sliding and falling all over the place. There were some tears but Daniel was determined to get back up and keep going. Now that he realizes practice makes perfect (or a least a lot better) he is motivated to keep trying. He wanted to skate and keep skating so he could get better. And by the end he was doing pretty well. I was exhausted by the end. Trying to keep Daniel (and sometimes his other friends) from eating it on the ice took all my arm strength and tremendous balance (to keep from going over with them). Daniel took me down one time and let me tell you it did not feel good. Falling on ice hurts!

I was really surprised at how crowded the rink was. The place was packed. On a Sunday even. I didn't know ice skating was so popular. Who knew?

I think I will bring Sammy someday and see what he thinks of the whole experience. Too bad Dan won't touch an ice rink with a three foot pole because Tuesday nights are adult nights at the San Diego Ice Arena. How fun would that be? A date night skate night? Very romantic I think.


No comments: