Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mixed Bag Uncle

Having me as your Uncle can be a mixed bag. I was undoubtedly heroic when I saved my niece's life when she was being attacked by a child eating goat at the Petting Zoo. I am there for my nieces and nephews when they need someone to chase them around with a lightsaber. I will even (please don't tell anyone) participate with my nieces in the strange tradition of putting little outfits and accessories together for little doll things. I don't understand that part, but I like spending the time with those little girls when they find just the right thing for Princess Whomever to wear.

So, those are the pluses. The minuses, not as fun to talk about. I stink about things like birthdays, cards, stuff like that. Thankfully Suzy is great about that stuff, so she covers my flaws nicely. The problem arises, however, when Suzy is too busy to cover for me. Last month, when Suzy was knee deep (scratch that, neck deep is more like it) with City Tree Gala stuff, not to mention church stuff, my nephew Alex's birthday rolled around. I was perfectly aware that his birthday was there, and perfectly aware that Suzy was incapable of dealing with one more thing. That is the point at which I should have done something. 'Should have' being the operative phrase. I did nothing. Yikes. What a bad move. So, here we are a month later. Still nothing. Yikes. I actually tried to get him something last week, I was looking for a Stephen Strassburg San Diego State jersey (don't ask, it's an obscure gift that only about 2 people in the world would understand) but I couldn't find one. Now I am back at square one. Yikes. My only hope is that while we are at Legoland tomorrow Sammy and I will find something that not only Alex will want, but will also sufficiently convince his parents that I am not a complete jerk for being a month late on the present. Better late than never, right? Right? Anyone? Please?

In summary, I am sorry Alex. I am working on it. Hopefully before Christmas I will get something out to you.

No comments: