Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cupcakes All Around

I turned 36 years old today. It was a good birthday. Time with my family, burgers, cake. What more could a guy ask for? It was also my first birthday while on Facebook. That produced an interesting phenomenon. I got well wishes from across the globe. From the East Coast to Hawaii, from here in San Diego up to Portland, Oregon, I had people from various parts of my life wishing me happy birthday. It was surprising. It was nice. I was telling a friend ('telling' is a loose term these days, it was via a Facebook message) that it reminded me of being in elementary school, your mom bakes cupcakes and everyone in the class wishes you happy birthday. Just your whole day is a celebration. So, thanks everyone for the well wishes. I appreciate it. It was a good birthday.

On another note, since I have had kids I have come to the opinion that someone's birthday should really be a party for that person's mom and dad. To that end, thanks Mom. Thanks Dad. I appreciate all you have done for me over the years. I appreciate the sacrifices that you both made that I never knew about. I appreciate the fact that you put up with me through good times and bad. Thank you for being there for me for the first 36 years. I look forward to what you can teach me over the next 36. Thanks.

No comments: