Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Engaging

Twelve years ago today I proposed to Suzy while we were on a walk along the beach in beautiful San Diego. That was the best decision that I have ever made, Suzy brings joy to my life daily, and I thank God for granting me the privilege and honor of sharing her life.

I distinctly remember the nervousness I felt when I picked her up at her apartment that she shared with some Navigator friends. One of her roommates, Carol, even gave me a weird look as we walked away, like she knew something was up. Suzy, thankfully, was blissfully unaware.

As we came to a bench I asked her to sit, I got down on one knee, and she started smiling nervously. I pulled out the ring, said some profoundly romantic things, and proposed. And her response? Well, you know the rest, coming up on 12 years of wonderful marriage, so she must have said 'yes', right? Well, not exactly. Her response was to laugh. Not a giggle, though it may have started out there. But a true laugh. She didn't take the ring off and chuck it in the ocean, so that was good, but she never really said yes.

I was kind of operating on faith for the next few months as the wedding plans got made. Happily she never backed out, and the lack of a verbal commitment never became much of an issue.

Thank you, Suzy, for not saying 'no'.

No comments: