Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Crystal: Part 1

Last week the boys decided to venture into the backyard in search of some buried treasure. I am not sure what motivated them to do this, probably a book they've been reading or maybe treasure hunting is just one of those things that boys just 'do' (like playing with guns). So anyway, the boys are out digging up my garden (which I wasn't too thrilled with, but since they were happy I was willing to let it slide) and they start digging up pretty rocks and flattened marbles (the kind people use in vases and such). When Daniel was little we had a little fountain out back that had rocks and marbles in it and Daniel carried them all around and they got lost and buried over time. Well, the boys were pretty excited with their dug up treasure. They washed them up and put them in a box.

Then a few days later, Sammy is out in the yard digging around (Daniel is in class) and I am upstairs on the computer when I hear Sammy getting pretty excited downstairs. He comes running upstairs and is just ecstatic. He opens his little hand to show me the treasure he has found. It is a piece of a geode with pretty purple crystals.

"We're going to be RICH!" Sammy blurts out.

He is beaming. He is just beside himself with excitement. Actual treasure. Dug up in his own backyard with his own two hands. It doesn't get any better than this.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was part of a fountain we had and Daniel had thrown the geode into the yard when he was little. That would have been just cruel. And I was not going to be the one to burst his bubble.

Sammy is so proud of his treasure. He shows it to everyone he can and tells his story of its discovery. Just call him Sammy the treasure hunter.

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

I know the source of your geode. I made you (and Tutu/Papa) that little fountain one Christmas years and years ago filled with pretty rocks and topped with a geode. Now, if you are smart, you'll give Tutu a call and have her bury her fountain rocks in her backyard....