Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Brothers Forever

A while ago my mom taught the boys the phrase"Brothers Forever". I remember her explaining to Daniel and Sammy that they have a very special relationship that will last forever. No matter what, they will always be brothers. I think that is every parent's hope. That their children will love each other and get along with each other. We want our children to be buddies, friends and have a special relationship with each other.

Although that is our hope, that is not always reality. I have talked to many people who didn't get along with their siblings as children and some sadly that still don't as adults. But I have also heard many stories of cherished memories with a brother or sister and relationships that grow stronger each year. I don't know why some sibling get along well and why some don't. I don't think anyone really knows. But I do know that parents, of more than one child, want their children to like each other, play with one other and develop a special relationship that will last forever.

Before Sammy was born I thought a lot about what kind of big brother Daniel would be. Would he like Sammy? Would he resent Sammy? Would they play with each other? Would they drive each other crazy? I know I wanted them to have the kind of relationship I had with my sister. We loved playing together and I have so many special memories of our childhood together. Sure we fought and I was a little pest, but overall we got along really well. I so wanted that for my children.

When Sammy was born Daniel showed no jealousy or resentment whatsoever. But he wasn't all that interested in his brother either. Sammy was just this little blob that slept a lot and occasionally cried. Daniel really didn't interact all that much with Sammy until Sammy was about 8 months old and started to crawl. And when Sammy started to walk a short while later, the interaction was ratcheted up a big notch. Daniel bore Sammy's toodlerhood with much patience. Probably more patience than either Dan or I had for Sammy.

As Sammy began to get older, less destructive and more willing to share, Daniel and Sammy began to play with each other. Well, at least for short periods of time. I would often have to mediate or break up an altercation, but I could sense a beginning of good things to come.

Fast forward to the present. Although there are moments and sometimes days that Sammy and Daniel fight, bother, argue and drive each other nuts, they get along and play really well. I think I can say that they really love being brothers. I love to see them playing together, not just because it means I can have time to myself, but because I love that they enjoy each others company and can have such fun together. Often in the middle of playing with Daniel I hear Sammy say, 'I love you, Daniel.' That is more than I could have hope for. Brothers forever.

No comments: