Thursday, September 27, 2007

Rosarito Ensenada

I am getting a bit nervous. Tomorrow around noon I am heading south, way south, different country south, with my father-in-law, Bob. We are staying tomorrow night in a town called Ensenada, which is in Baja California. Early in the morning on Saturday (6 AM wakeup, are you ready Bob?) we grab a shuttle up the Baja coast to a town called Rosarito. Then, at around 10 AM PST, we take off with 10,000 other cyclists on a fifty mile journey along the coast of Baja back to Ensenada. Although this ride is billed as a party on wheels I am still a bit nervous. There is a hill in the middle of the route (about 22 miles in) called El Tigre. When we scouted the route a few weeks ago it seemed like a pretty good hill. In fact the whole route seemed like it took a long time to drive, much less ride. I am hoping to finish in about three and a half hours. That is a long time for me to be on a bike. Since I ride to work pretty much every day I am very used to spending time on my bike. Usually that means about 30 minutes. 30 minutes, three hours, what's the big deal?

Anyway, I am getting a bit nervous. Not for any valid reason, I have been training, and am in good shape. I think that it has to do with me being adventurous. I am by nature not a 'risk taker'. I like sure things. Going to Mexico to ride bikes with a bunch of other crazy folks is not my standard weekend. As I get older, though, I am realizing that taking a few risks is not a terrible thing. I am trying to appreciate adventure, trying new things. Taking the longer path through the woods. That sort of thing. Hopefully this attempt at taking chances doesn't lead to me in a Tijuana jail with poor Bob having to bail me out, but there is only one way to find out!

Wish me luck...

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

Pretty much going anywhere with my dad is an adventure. And don't worry, if there is any bailing out to be done, I'm sure you'll be forking over the pesos to get Elmo out of the clink.