Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day of School

Today was the BIG DAY. My little baby boy of not so long ago went off to kindergarten. I could tell he was both excited and a little nervous, but he did not cry or beg me to stay with him. I gave him a kiss and he gave me a kissing hand (if you don't know what a kissing hand is, read the book 'The Kissing Hand', it makes me bawl every time) and he was off. Amazingly enough I didn't cry, although I wanted to. Mostly I just wanted Daniel to have fun and enjoy school.

All day long my mind strayed to what Daniel might be doing, how he was behaving and if he was doing okay. I was feeling a little down and depressed and Sammy must have been playing off my mood because he was a wreck after dropping Daniel off.

When I went to pick up Daniel at the end of the school day and talked to some of the other moms in Daniel's class I found out that I was not the only one who felt a little disoriented and sad throughout the day. But then the door opened and there was Daniel with a big smile on his face. Daniel's eyes lit up when he saw me and he ran to me a gave me a great big hug. Just what the doctor ordered.

I was only able to get a little bit out of him about the day's events, but he told me he had fun and made friends. Relief.
My little boy is now my big boy. I am so proud of you Daniel and I love you so very much.

2 comments:

Chrissie said...

Congradulations Daniel! We know you will love school. Leina hopes you make some great friend & Leinas loves you. Kulia wants you remember that we are your friends too! Miss you guys lots. Love the Hawaii tan...

Chrissie, Leina and Kulia

Jane said...

So BIG, so SOON!
Love you,
Toots & Papa