Friday, March 23, 2007

Time Marches On

At the start of February I was sad. For the past two years I have been spending one morning a week at home with Sammy, while Suzy goes and helps out with Daniel's class. My Monday morning's with Sammy finished in January because Sammy started going to school with Daniel. I didn't really think about how that would make me feel. I thought about how excited Sammy would be (he has wanted to go to school with Daniel for a long time), but I never contemplated what my reaction would be. I have to admit I was a bit surprised. I am not normally someone who gets sad. Overall a pretty even keel kind of person. For most of the month of February when I started to think about it I would start feeling sad. I am very happy for Sammy, don't get me wrong. He has been doing great in school, and is fitting right in with all of the kids. But for me, not so much. Part of it is regret, that I didn't enjoy the time we had just the two us together, as much as I should have. Part of it is just the fact that I probably will never have that regular time just the two of us again. That's junk.

This week (Thursday to be precise) I went down to the K through 8th grade school associated with our church and wrote what was the first of many checks. Daniel is now enrolled in kindergarten to start on September 4th. Suzy and I settled on this school mainly because we know and respect so many of the teachers and the staff. That has probably been my greatest reward for being on the School Board there for the last two years. I have gotten a first hand look at the people involved and decided I could trust my boy with them. It is very hard to believe that Daniel is mere months away from starting school for real. We shall see what my reaction to that will be. Suzy, I know, is going to be a mess, but having Sammy will distract her to a certain extent. She probably won't let Sammy start school until he is about 15. My beautiful wife sometimes likes to delay in the inevitable.
On a different note, I have been commanded to write a blog entry about what we saw while at the beach up in LA visiting Tutu and Papa last weekend. That post will be coming soon, but the teaser is... It was nothing any of us ever had seen from a beach before in our lives, quite amazing.

No comments: