Thursday, December 22, 2005

Spread the Word


I hate to write this just in case I might jinx it, but this is too good not to share with the world. I think I have found the solution for the constant flood of whys.

Sammy loves to make a mad dash for the carpet whenever he enters the house with his shoes on. He knows he is not allowed to wear shoes in the house, but thinks it is a game when I run after, tackle and pry his chubby feet out of his dirty shoes. Today when he came in from playing outside I said, 'Sammy don't forget to take your shoes off'. Of course Sammy just looked at me and said 'Why?' Instead of saying 'We don't wear shoes in the house' which would have lead to a long conversation of why exactly we don't wear shoes in the house I posed a question to Sammy. 'Is is ok to wear shoes in the house?' 'Nooooo,' (he does a funny voice inflection on this) Sammy says. We take off his shoes and he goes merrily on his way and I am amazed at my new found wisdom.

Now you have to test a theory out to make sure it holds true, so for the rest of the morning whenever Sammy asked me why I posed the question back to him and sure enough it worked. It is like a miracle cure. I wonder why no one has shared this amazing piece of wisdom with me and other why sufferers like me. Have child and parenting experts failed to discover this technique? Or maybe by doing this I am somehow limiting Sammy's intellectual growth and stimulation. Maybe letting your child ask why two hundred times a day is healthy and necessary for a little two year old to grow and learn. I don't know, but I am going to milk this technique for all it's worth. Why? Why do you think?

No comments: