Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chevy Luv

I was looking at old photos the other day and came across this picture of my Dad and his little red Chevy luv. This picture just cracks me up. But I am so glad that I have a picture of my Dad under the hood of his truck that he loved so much. He must have spent countless hours working on that truck. I don't know how many years exactly he spent giving that truck TLC, but my parents had the truck when we lived in Texas (we moved the summer before my first grade) and he still had it running after I married Dan. That is a long time.


For me, my Dad's little Chevy Luv holds many memories. I don't remember, but when we lived in Texas my Dad used to drive my sister in I around in the back of the truck. At the time there was no hood and my sister and I (who were probably around the age of my boys now, 4 and 6) would sit up on the tire wheels and watch the world fly by. I can believe that my Dad let us do this, but I am in shock that my Mom (who is now so overly protective) would allow such a thing. My Dad likes to tell the story of when my sister and I were riding in the back of the truck and a lady in the car next to my Dad was making a big fuss at him. My dad rolled down the window to see what the excitement was about. The woman pointed to the back of the truck were my sister had fallen asleep and was hanging over the side. Well, that didn't stop us from riding in the back, but my Dad did get a cover to make sure he wasn't going to lose one of us.

There were times I loved that truck as much as my Dad and times that I wished we had a different car. When we were younger my sister and I loved riding in the back. We loved playing, rolling around and watching out the back window. But when I got older and started going to a private school where Mercedes and BMWs were the standard, the little red truck became a source of embarrassment for me. My dad usually drove us to school since my Mom, who was the librarian at our school, had to be at work early. I always got stuck sitting in the middle since I was the smallest. Sitting in the middle was fun when I was little, my Dad would let us shift for him, but when you are wearing a mini skirt it can be pretty uncomfortable. I can remember so vividly puttering up the big hill to school. The three of us in front. Me in the middle. No A/C and just an AM radio usually tuned to the oldies but goodies. Packed in like sardines with all our binders and backpacks and stuff. My Dad would fall in line with all the luxury cars and when it was our turn my sister and I would jump out of the truck and run off to school.


I have to admit I was a little sad when my Dad told me he was going to sell his truck. I often have a hard time letting things go. Especially things that hold memories or that are meaningful to me. So I'm glad that I snapped this picture, could it really be almost 15 years ago? My Dad in his flip flops and short shorts with his red Chevy Luv truck.

1 comment:

PaPa said...

Those were the good old days and I don't look a day older.