Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 3: Fishing for Sammy

What a day.

It started out early, although not as early as yesterday. The boys first started stirring at 5:30 or so, and we didn't have to start dealing with them until six something. So yesterday I got to enjoy the sunrise with my wife, but today I got to sleep 'in' a bit, it's a toss up as to which I enjoyed more.

After a great breakfast of bacon and eggs cooked al a Papa, we headed down to the beach for a morning stroll. The first discovery (of many) was this squid, which to me was pretty big, the picture just doesn't do it justice.


After the stroll along the beach we headed into Hawaii Kai, just 20 minutes away around Makapu'u Point, to pick up some more groceries, and any other yummy things that we could find. Suzy had scouted out this mall yesterday on her way to Costco, and had quickly zeroed in on Bubbies, a mochi ice cream place she frequented while spending a summer 'studying' at the University of Hawaii.




After quickly finishing off the dozen packets of goodness (and an additional three more just to make sure the first twelve were accurate representations of true mochi ice cream), we took care of business at Foodland, and stopped in to pick up some sushi for lunch.



We needed to hustle home because we were having our first guests of the season at Hale Terry, Auntie Bonnie, Cousin Amy and Granpa Burge we coming. Daniel had a hard time sitting still during the sushi lunch (yes there was ika, no it was not the ika from that morning on the beach), because one of the main reasons he was excited about coming back to Hawaii was to build legos with cousin Amy. Wish granted.


It was such a busy morning that Suzy and Sammy needed to take a quick nap to rest up for the evening's festivities. Once there power nap was done we headed to the beach for some time in the water.



Yesterday was fun in the water, despite the flat conditions. Today was great. Stupendous. To quote one of my favorite TV characters, 'Awesome'. Why? Glad you asked. For the first time in his life, Sammy rode a boogey board wave into shore. Last year was great, Sammy went out in the surf with me, but hung on to my neck so tightly there was no chance he was riding a wave in. This year, it started out much the same, but to my surprise he got braver and braver the longer we were out there. Lo and behold, after half an hour or so, we had caught three waves. Amazing.


I thought my day was done after that, but nope, I was wrong. Daniel decided he wanted back on the board, and he then shocked me by agreeing to catch a wave in by himself! I had him out there, found a good wave, and gave him a shove. He even got clobbered once, shook his head, wandered around the beach for a few seconds, then turned around and ran back in with me.

Couldn't believe it. What a day.

So, why the 'Fishing for Sammy', title? Well, after his second successful wave ride I was getting a bit cocky, and picked a bit of a bigger wave for our third try. Not a great idea on my part, and we got pounded. I think it was mainly on the followup wave after our ride was mostly over, it knocked me over, and thus down went Sammy, with the board on top of him. I reached out with my hand underwater, grabbed the first thing I could, and up came a Sammy leg, thankfully still attached. I had caught myself a thoroughly wet, a bit scared, but still mostly happy Sammy. I decided not to throw him back in, he is a keeper!









No comments: